Yesterday I did something rare, and cooked a real dinner even though it was just going to be me home. Wednesday I was helping Ted’s cousins (and close friends!) move. It was a busy day and it is sad to see them leave but the best thing about people who are not just friends but also family, is you know you are stuck with them for life!
Anyways, all that to lead into, I got some frozen mangos from them as they emptied out their freezer. Unfortunately, they were not so frozen after sitting in the hot car for a couple hours, and they were definitely not frozen after forgetting them in the car and going to work overnight. They needed to get used ASAP. While sipping a mango smoothie, I googled mango recipes. The two most popular things to do with mango is to make mango salsa or mango curry. Who knew?
I made a few adjustments as I found it to be very mild. I am not very seasoned in making Indian food and I could have been using the wrong curry paste. I used the red curry paste and did not find it spicy, if you know you have a spicy curry paste, start with four teaspoons and adjust for your taste. This recipe is great if you are just starting explore Indian food and haven’t built up a tolerance to the spiciness usually associated with Indian dishes.
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and sliced, divided
- 1 (10 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut oil (or any cooking oil)
- 6 teaspoons red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger (or to taste)
- 14 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into cubes
- 1 red onion chopped small
- 1 large English cucumber, seeded and sliced
- Coconut flakes to Garnish
- Fresh cilantro to garnish
- Place mango into the bowl of a blender with the coconut milk. Blend until smooth and reserve for later.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the curry paste, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chicken and shallot; cook until the chicken is done and the shallots have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the mango puree, and add spices to taste and cook until heated through.
- To serve, stir in the cucumber. Sprinkle shredded coconut and cilantro on each serving.
Let me know what you think! Bon Appetite!
**sorry for the poor quality food photos! I have a ton of learning to do in the photography department!